Good day for: Moving, as the number of people buying existing homes in April posted the largest monthly jump in nearly eight years, according to the National Association of Realtors. The statistic suggests that sales the long and painful slump is nearing an end, Jennifer Lee, an economist at BMO Capital Markets, wrote in a note to clients. "Now if only prices would stabilize." (AP in Yahoo Finance)
Bad day for: Relating to the common man, as billionaire Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at a campaign event Monday that President Obama, who earns $400,000 a year and has made millions of dollars from book sales, "doesn't get paid that much" and is "on a budget" like millions of Americans. Forbes magazine ranks Bloomberg, whose net worth is $16.5 billion, as the 17th wealthiest person in the world. (BusinessWeek)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week