In the latest sign that Playboy "should just fold up and go away," said Bonnie Erbe in U.S. News & World Report, the magazine's website recently posted an article containing a list of conservative women "the author said men would like to, er, have sex with but hate at the same time." The "disgusting, sexist" article, which Playboy has taken down, insulted upstanding conservative women—although it's hard to get incensed about the inclusion of the "venomous" Michelle Malkin.
Imagine the outrage, said Chip Hanlon in The Huffington Post, if Playboy's article, "So Right It's Wrong," had involved wanting to "hate f***" not a conservative blogger like Michelle Malkin "but someone on the Left." Anyone genuinely "dedicated to the empowerment of women" should be offended by this lame, "rancid" drivel.
So much for Playboy's ludicrous claim that it empowers the women who appear nude in its pages, said Ed Morrissey in Michelle Malkin's website, Hot Air. "The fact that the magazine published this piece of effluvium" shows that people at Playboy, from Hugh Hefner on down, want women to be "silent sex objects, and when confronted with women whose opinions differ from theirs, want them humiliated."
Maybe, but getting the offending article removed doesn't help anyone, said Susannah Breslin in Double X. It doesn't erase the "politically incorrect" thoughts of the writer, Guy Cimbalo, who was branded as a wannabe rapist by the chorus of bloggers who threatened Playboy with a boycott if they didn't remove the piece. This just shows that "free speech is so over" for anyone who's politics don't please the blogosphere.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week