In the latest sign that Playboy "should just fold up and go away," said Bonnie Erbe in U.S. News & World Report, the magazine's website recently posted an article containing a list of conservative women "the author said men would like to, er, have sex with but hate at the same time." The "disgusting, sexist" article, which Playboy has taken down, insulted upstanding conservative women—although it's hard to get incensed about the inclusion of the "venomous" Michelle Malkin.
Imagine the outrage, said Chip Hanlon in The Huffington Post, if Playboy's article, "So Right It's Wrong," had involved wanting to "hate f***" not a conservative blogger like Michelle Malkin "but someone on the Left." Anyone genuinely "dedicated to the empowerment of women" should be offended by this lame, "rancid" drivel.
So much for Playboy's ludicrous claim that it empowers the women who appear nude in its pages, said Ed Morrissey in Michelle Malkin's website, Hot Air. "The fact that the magazine published this piece of effluvium" shows that people at Playboy, from Hugh Hefner on down, want women to be "silent sex objects, and when confronted with women whose opinions differ from theirs, want them humiliated."
Maybe, but getting the offending article removed doesn't help anyone, said Susannah Breslin in Double X. It doesn't erase the "politically incorrect" thoughts of the writer, Guy Cimbalo, who was branded as a wannabe rapist by the chorus of bloggers who threatened Playboy with a boycott if they didn't remove the piece. This just shows that "free speech is so over" for anyone who's politics don't please the blogosphere.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 things you need to know today: November 22, 2014
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
Subscribe to the Week