President Obama has changed his tune about his relationship with Islam, said Robert Spencer in Jihad Watch. A blog post by ABC's Jake Tapper and a colleague—"The Emergence of President Obama's Muslim Roots"—spells out how the Obama camp went from "downplaying" his "Muslim roots" on the campaign trail to spotlighting them now that he's in office. The rumor that Obama was a "closet Muslim" wasn't true, but his roots explain his "consistently anti-Israel line" and "his favoring of Muslim countries."
Shame on Jake Tapper for doing the bidding of right-wing, anti-Obama "wingnuts," said Gawker. He "regurgitates a slew of widely known facts about Obama's family's Muslim faith"—including the fact that Obama's father was a Muslim—"slaps a provocative title on the piece, and repackages the whole thing" as breaking news during Obama's trip to the Middle East. What a pathetic attempt to get a link from Matt Drudge.
"Wow, that's pretty harsh," said Tommy Christopher in Politics Daily. And totally unfair. Tapper's thesis—that Obama downplayed his Muslim background during the campaign and is "bragging" about it now as he tries to repair U.S. relations with Islamic countries—is "100 percent true." And he calls the Obama-as-secret-Muslim rumors "crazy"—hardly the thing he'd say if he were a "right-wing tool."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The European Union was supposed to end nationalism. It gave it new life instead.
Subscribe to the Week