Good day for: Homer Simpson, as Friday is National Doughnut Day. Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Creme are celebrating the holiday, started more than 70 years ago by the Chicago Salvation Army, by giving away free donuts. Dunkin' Donuts requires "free" donut recipients to buy a drink; Krispy Kreme doesn't require any purchase. (Triangle Business Journal)
Bad day for: Throwing out the TV set, as Hulu is reportedly preparing to charge a subscription fee to watch videos on the site. According to a Daily Finance report, a proposal to charge for at least some of Hulu's content could be decided as early as Monday, although nothing has been decided yet. (Gawker)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week