Good day for: Homer Simpson, as Friday is National Doughnut Day. Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Creme are celebrating the holiday, started more than 70 years ago by the Chicago Salvation Army, by giving away free donuts. Dunkin' Donuts requires "free" donut recipients to buy a drink; Krispy Kreme doesn't require any purchase. (Triangle Business Journal)
Bad day for: Throwing out the TV set, as Hulu is reportedly preparing to charge a subscription fee to watch videos on the site. According to a Daily Finance report, a proposal to charge for at least some of Hulu's content could be decided as early as Monday, although nothing has been decided yet. (Gawker)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week