Good day for: Homer Simpson, as Friday is National Doughnut Day. Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Creme are celebrating the holiday, started more than 70 years ago by the Chicago Salvation Army, by giving away free donuts. Dunkin' Donuts requires "free" donut recipients to buy a drink; Krispy Kreme doesn't require any purchase. (Triangle Business Journal)
Bad day for: Throwing out the TV set, as Hulu is reportedly preparing to charge a subscription fee to watch videos on the site. According to a Daily Finance report, a proposal to charge for at least some of Hulu's content could be decided as early as Monday, although nothing has been decided yet. (Gawker)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week