Good day for: Homer Simpson, as Friday is National Doughnut Day. Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Creme are celebrating the holiday, started more than 70 years ago by the Chicago Salvation Army, by giving away free donuts. Dunkin' Donuts requires "free" donut recipients to buy a drink; Krispy Kreme doesn't require any purchase. (Triangle Business Journal)
Bad day for: Throwing out the TV set, as Hulu is reportedly preparing to charge a subscription fee to watch videos on the site. According to a Daily Finance report, a proposal to charge for at least some of Hulu's content could be decided as early as Monday, although nothing has been decided yet. (Gawker)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week