Good day for: Homer Simpson, as Friday is National Doughnut Day. Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Creme are celebrating the holiday, started more than 70 years ago by the Chicago Salvation Army, by giving away free donuts. Dunkin' Donuts requires "free" donut recipients to buy a drink; Krispy Kreme doesn't require any purchase. (Triangle Business Journal)
Bad day for: Throwing out the TV set, as Hulu is reportedly preparing to charge a subscription fee to watch videos on the site. According to a Daily Finance report, a proposal to charge for at least some of Hulu's content could be decided as early as Monday, although nothing has been decided yet. (Gawker)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week