The Americans have been arming the insurgents in Pakistan, said the Peshawar Frontier Post in an editorial. As a U.S. report just acknowledged, Pakistani tribal lands are awash in American weapons. This can’t be an accident. We’ve been wondering how these new insurgent leaders -- such as Baitullah Mehsud -- with no links to the tribal areas could suddenly have so much "money, arms, and war equipment pouring in clandestinely." And we wondered why one militant, Naik Mohammed, was killed by a U.S. drone after he had signed a peace pact with the Pakistani army. The answer is now clear: The U.S. is trying to cause a civil war in Pakistan. "It is a diabolical act, aimed at our country’s very existence."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- How to cook a perfect rib eye steak
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- The week's best photojournalism
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
Subscribe to the Week