The Americans have been arming the insurgents in Pakistan, said the Peshawar Frontier Post in an editorial. As a U.S. report just acknowledged, Pakistani tribal lands are awash in American weapons. This can’t be an accident. We’ve been wondering how these new insurgent leaders -- such as Baitullah Mehsud -- with no links to the tribal areas could suddenly have so much "money, arms, and war equipment pouring in clandestinely." And we wondered why one militant, Naik Mohammed, was killed by a U.S. drone after he had signed a peace pact with the Pakistani army. The answer is now clear: The U.S. is trying to cause a civil war in Pakistan. "It is a diabolical act, aimed at our country’s very existence."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The week's best photojournalism
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
Subscribe to the Week