he Americans have been arming the insurgents in Pakistan, said the Peshawar Frontier Post in an editorial. As a U.S. report just acknowledged, Pakistani tribal lands are awash in American weapons. This can’t be an accident. We’ve been wondering how these new insurgent leaders -- such as Baitullah Mehsud -- with no links to the tribal areas could suddenly have so much "money, arms, and war equipment pouring in clandestinely." And we wondered why one militant, Naik Mohammed, was killed by a U.S. drone after he had signed a peace pact with the Pakistani army. The answer is now clear: The U.S. is trying to cause a civil war in Pakistan. "It is a diabolical act, aimed at our country’s very existence."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The odds are 11 million to 1 that you'll die in a plane crash
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week