he Americans have been arming the insurgents in Pakistan, said the Peshawar Frontier Post in an editorial. As a U.S. report just acknowledged, Pakistani tribal lands are awash in American weapons. This can’t be an accident. We’ve been wondering how these new insurgent leaders -- such as Baitullah Mehsud -- with no links to the tribal areas could suddenly have so much "money, arms, and war equipment pouring in clandestinely." And we wondered why one militant, Naik Mohammed, was killed by a U.S. drone after he had signed a peace pact with the Pakistani army. The answer is now clear: The U.S. is trying to cause a civil war in Pakistan. "It is a diabolical act, aimed at our country’s very existence."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week