"Apparently, all it took for victory in Iraq was a visit by late-night funnyman Stephen Colbert," said Aamer Madhani in USA Today. The host of Comedy Central's The Colbert Report—who is broadcasting a week of shows from Iraq—told an audience of 300 cheering U.S. soldiers that, since nobody else was brave enough to do it, he was declaring that "we have won the Iraq war." Fans in the military were glad Colbert didn't tone down his faux-conservative persona to avoid ruffling feathers—although Gen. Ray Odierno did gently correct Colbert by saying his declaration of victory was premature. (watch Stephen Colbert announce his Iraq trip)
"War, as things go, is a fairly unironic exercise," said Campbell Robertson in The New York Times, so Stephen Colbert's "Operation Iraqi Stephen" is a "tricky" mission. But Colbert "is unquestionably a real supporter of the troops," having raised and donated money to help soldiers and their families. He's out for laughs, but also to focus attention on the sometimes forgotten fact that we still have 135,000 troops in Iraq and they're "still doing dangerous work."
"For a supposedly functioning idiot," said Scott Thill in Wired, Stephen Colbert has a talent for bringing "much-needed attention to hidden territories of human knowledge and experience." Before he reminded America of the task remaining in Iraq, he raised interest in the space program by getting a Space Station treadmill named after him, and he boosted attendance at the Smithsonian by lobbying to get his portrait displayed there, "if only near the bathrooms." Colbert's fake-macho TV blowhard is "quickly becoming America’s greatest ambassador for smarts."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week