Sarah Palin's "on-again, off-again" appearance at a Monday fundraising dinner for congressional Republicans "is off—again," said Jonathan Martin in Politico. According to a Palin aide, the Alaska governor was disinvited from speaking over fears that she would "upstage" the dinner's keynote speaker, Newt Gingrich. This is merely the "latest snafu" involving Palin and the national GOP, and both sides are "deeply irritated"—Palin's team at the apparent snub, and the dinner's planners at Palin's ambiguous response to their original invitation for her to keynote the dinner.
No matter what you think of Palin, the GOP's treatment of her in this case has been "atrocious," said Patrick Ishmael in Hot Air, both personally and "in a 'that’s not how you raise money and win elections' sense." I want the Republican Party to raise as much money as possible, and it seems baffling that the planners would scuttle a "PR-money-bomb-Sarahcuda-Newtapalooza bonanza." Surely Gingrich didn't endorse the move.
It wouldn't be the first sign of bad blood between Palin and Gingrich, said Geoffrey Dunn in The Huffington Post. In an April interview with Christianity Today, Gingrich "refused to name Palin" as one of the "emerging leaders" of the party. And Palin lifted, without attribution, whole sections of a 2005 Gingrich article in a speech she gave last Wednesday. She mentioned Gingrich twice in the speech, but other parts of the address include "very problematic" quotes and paraphrases of the article apparently passed off as her own thoughts.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week