"Foul-mouthed reality-TV chef Gordon Ramsay has shocked a public audience by vilifying a high-profile Australian journalist in an obscene, sexist rant," said FoxNews.com. During an appearance at the Good Food and Wine Show in Melbourne, Australia, over the weekend, Ramsay referred to Tracy Grimshaw as a lesbian, and "showed a picture of a woman—who appeared to be naked—on her hands and knees with the features of a pig and multiple breasts."
Gordon Ramsay "crossed the line" with his "sexist, homophobic remarks," said Perez Hilton. And "when the audience reacted negatively" to his "rant," he added insult to injury by saying, "What? I'm not saying she's a dyke." Now women's groups in Australia "are fuming" and want to kick Ramsay out of their country—"we couldn't agree more!"
Look, this is what the "headline-hunting Ramsay" does, said Wendy Tuohy in the Melbourne Herald Sun. His entire "TV brand is built on toxic outbursts," and "he's a very clever self-promoter." But if you meet him in person, as I have, "you get the strong feeling such boorishness is completely manufactured and more than a little bit desperate."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week