"Foul-mouthed reality-TV chef Gordon Ramsay has shocked a public audience by vilifying a high-profile Australian journalist in an obscene, sexist rant," said FoxNews.com. During an appearance at the Good Food and Wine Show in Melbourne, Australia, over the weekend, Ramsay referred to Tracy Grimshaw as a lesbian, and "showed a picture of a woman—who appeared to be naked—on her hands and knees with the features of a pig and multiple breasts."
Gordon Ramsay "crossed the line" with his "sexist, homophobic remarks," said Perez Hilton. And "when the audience reacted negatively" to his "rant," he added insult to injury by saying, "What? I'm not saying she's a dyke." Now women's groups in Australia "are fuming" and want to kick Ramsay out of their country—"we couldn't agree more!"
Look, this is what the "headline-hunting Ramsay" does, said Wendy Tuohy in the Melbourne Herald Sun. His entire "TV brand is built on toxic outbursts," and "he's a very clever self-promoter." But if you meet him in person, as I have, "you get the strong feeling such boorishness is completely manufactured and more than a little bit desperate."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week