"Carrie Prejean is officially out as Miss California USA because she doesn't play well with others," said TMZ. The controversial beauty queen—who clashed with blogger Perez Hilton because of her anti-gay marriage stance, and who almost lost her crown for posing topless in photos—was fired by the producers of the Miss California pageant for "breaching her contract." Apparently, Prejean "has been a no-show for appearances" and hasn't been asking for "clearance to do her extracurricular" projects.
"What a difference a few weeks has made," said Lisa Gutierrez in the Kansas City Star. Just last month, Miss USA organization co-owner Donald Trump decided to let Prejean keep her crown despite "controversy over topless photos of her that surfaced online." But Prejean will probably be fine. She reportedly "wants to write a book," and maybe Fox will give her a job—"she recently subbed as a host on the network's morning show Fox & Friends."
All I can say to Carrie Prejean, said Michael Musto in The Village Voice, is good riddance! "I'm thrilled about this turn of events—it's poetic justice." She's not a "nice" person, she's a hypocrite, and her anti–gay marriage comments during the Miss USA pageant were not only intolerant, they were "dim-witted."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
Subscribe to the Week