The drama continues between David Letterman and Sarah Palin, said Nick Sabloff in The Huffington Post. Letterman addressed the feud on his CBS "Late Show" after Palin said Letterman's crack that she looked like a "slutty flight attendant" (watch) was "pretty pathetic," and that his joke that her daughter had been impregnated by New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez (watch) was "sexually perverted." Letterman said his swipes at Palin were just attempts at "cheap laughs," and that his pregnancy joke was about 18-year-old single mom Bristol Palin, not her 14-year-old sister, Willow.
What a relief to know that David Letterman would "never condone statutorily raping a girl who’s underage," said Allapundit in Hot Air. "All he meant to do was goof on the idea that Palin’s eldest daughter, a single mother with a baby, is a whore." That almost makes Letterman a gentleman.
Give David Letterman credit for apologizing—sort of, said Toby Harnden in Britain's Telegraph. A dirty joke about an 18-year-old is not as bad as one about a 14-year-old, "but it's still pretty grubby." Either way, "some half-wit" on Letterman's staff probably wrote the joke and he didn't notice or care which daughter actually attended the Yankees game with Sarah Palin on her New York trip, because Letterman was out to insult the conservative Alaska governor, not her daughters.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week