obody knows whether the right's "blast-furnace rhetoric" pushed James von Brunn over the edge, said Eugene Robinson in The Washington Post. But the 88-year-old white supremacist who allegedly killed a security guard at the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C., is precisely the kind of far-right "lone wolf" the Homeland Security department has tried to warn us about. "The Sean Hannitys, Rush Limbaughs, and Glenn Becks of the world" should acknowledge that they're riling up some dangerous people when they call President Obama a "socialist," call Sonia Sotomayor a "racist Latina," and claim that Democrats want to "take away your guns."
The people referring to James von Brunn as a "'right-wing' murderer" are trying to score political points, said John Hinderaker in Power Line. But his anti-Semitism, and his hatred of Christians, Bush, and neocons, are "overwhelmingly a factor of the Left in today's world." Still, it would be unfair to blame the Daily Kos for this "insane murder"—"vigorous political debate is legal," and nobody on the left or the right is responsible when "a lone nut takes their ideology to the extreme."
"James Van Brunn defies easy left-right classification," said Ben Smith in Politico. "Indeed, he's so far out to the right" that it seems silly to talk about him as some kind of "extreme" version of a Fox News Republican. "The Washington, D.C. Fox News Affiliate reports that his notebooks included 'a Fox News location' among potential targets"—so this is a man is clearly the product of an ideology with different roots.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week