OOD DAY FOR: Pot smokers, as a series of events, including dangerously eroding state budgets, is giving unprecedented hope to proponents of legalizing marijuana. They are finding surprisingly receptive audiences to their contentions that legal pot will save billions in law enforcement costs and bring in billions in tax revenue on one of the nation’s biggest cash crops. “This is the first time I feel like the wind is at my back and not in my face,” said Ethan Nadelmann of the pro-legalization Drug Policy Alliance. (AP in Yahoo! News)
BAD DAY FOR: Wine drinkers, after an increasingly vocal group of academics is trying to throw a wet blanket on the conventional wisdom that moderate drinking is good for our health. No studies have shown a positive causal link, they say, and it’s possible that moderate drinking is just something healthy people do, rather than something that makes people healthy. (The New York Times, via Lifehacker)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- How Captain America won over China
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week