"The world of Jon and Kate Gosselin is about to get even more dramatic (if that's possible)," said the gossip blog PopEater. In Touch Weekly is publishing paparazzi photos that appear to show Kate Gosselin, the often cranky mom on TLC's Jon & Kate Plus 8, spanking daughter Leah. The Gosselins have been tabloid fodder for weeks due to rumors of infidelity—but the media spotlight will be getting brighter now that Kate is the new poster mom for spanking.
The pictures of Kate Gosselin raising her hand to little Leah are soon to be everywhere, said Allie Is Wired. The child's offense, reportedly, was blowing a whistle after her mom said to stop. So, let's have the conversation: Is it "OK to spank a child?" And, if so, is it OK to do it in public?
Don't read too much into these pictures, said Jessica Carlson in Examiner.com. They "don't show Kate Gosselin actually striking Leah, or if she did, how hard, or what led up to the provocation." Of course, that's not going to satisfy people who think "it's never right to spank a child no matter what they've done."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week