"The world of Jon and Kate Gosselin is about to get even more dramatic (if that's possible)," said the gossip blog PopEater. In Touch Weekly is publishing paparazzi photos that appear to show Kate Gosselin, the often cranky mom on TLC's Jon & Kate Plus 8, spanking daughter Leah. The Gosselins have been tabloid fodder for weeks due to rumors of infidelity—but the media spotlight will be getting brighter now that Kate is the new poster mom for spanking.
The pictures of Kate Gosselin raising her hand to little Leah are soon to be everywhere, said Allie Is Wired. The child's offense, reportedly, was blowing a whistle after her mom said to stop. So, let's have the conversation: Is it "OK to spank a child?" And, if so, is it OK to do it in public?
Don't read too much into these pictures, said Jessica Carlson in Examiner.com. They "don't show Kate Gosselin actually striking Leah, or if she did, how hard, or what led up to the provocation." Of course, that's not going to satisfy people who think "it's never right to spank a child no matter what they've done."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Half-baked genetic research is fueling the latest round of mom bashing
Subscribe to the Week