"The world of Jon and Kate Gosselin is about to get even more dramatic (if that's possible)," said the gossip blog PopEater. In Touch Weekly is publishing paparazzi photos that appear to show Kate Gosselin, the often cranky mom on TLC's Jon & Kate Plus 8, spanking daughter Leah. The Gosselins have been tabloid fodder for weeks due to rumors of infidelity—but the media spotlight will be getting brighter now that Kate is the new poster mom for spanking.
The pictures of Kate Gosselin raising her hand to little Leah are soon to be everywhere, said Allie Is Wired. The child's offense, reportedly, was blowing a whistle after her mom said to stop. So, let's have the conversation: Is it "OK to spank a child?" And, if so, is it OK to do it in public?
Don't read too much into these pictures, said Jessica Carlson in Examiner.com. They "don't show Kate Gosselin actually striking Leah, or if she did, how hard, or what led up to the provocation." Of course, that's not going to satisfy people who think "it's never right to spank a child no matter what they've done."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week