The U.S. is arming Georgia to fight Russia, said Kirill Troitsky in the Russian military newspaper Voyenno-Promyshlenny Kurier. The Americans’ "open support of the militarist Georgian leadership was a major, if not decisive, factor that encouraged Georgian aggression" against the pro-Russian, breakaway province of South Ossetia last summer. Now they are doing it again, openly arming the regime of Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili. U.S. experts admit delivering nearly 1,000 tons of weapons to Georgia, including machine guns. If Georgia rebuilds its military capability, it will be emboldened to attack the Ossetians again, forcing another Russian response. "Did the war teach the U.S. nothing?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
Subscribe to the Week