“The White House is bugged,” but not in the way you might think, said Mark Leibevich in The New York Times. Flies have infested the West Wing, and President Obama—in a moment that “became an instant YouTube sensation”—killed one with his bare hand during a CNBC TV interview (watch Obama's fly-swatting technique). White House officials are unclear where the infestation came from, but they’re sure that Obama is “personally enforcing a no-fly zone.”
If only Obama would take this tough a stance against Iran or North Korea, said Alex Layton in RantRave. As much as “I hate his politics and his policies,” though, Obama’s “ninja-like reflexes are astounding,” and I would put this fly execution “in the same category as Bush dodging the shoes.”
Guess who doesn’t think Obama is “so zen or enlightened” for his ninja-like, “cold-blooded karate chop”? said Dominic Montanaro in MSNBC’s First Read. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, of course. Obama “isn’t the Buddha,” groused PETA president Ingrid Newkirk.
PETA’s “insane,” said Allahpundit in Hot Air, but I guess we should “be glad there are lefties still willing to criticize the One.” Too bad the “cooing” media—which can’t get enough of that “sweet, sweet flyswatting Obama fu”—isn’t similarly critical.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week