“The White House is bugged,” but not in the way you might think, said Mark Leibevich in The New York Times. Flies have infested the West Wing, and President Obama—in a moment that “became an instant YouTube sensation”—killed one with his bare hand during a CNBC TV interview (watch Obama's fly-swatting technique). White House officials are unclear where the infestation came from, but they’re sure that Obama is “personally enforcing a no-fly zone.”
If only Obama would take this tough a stance against Iran or North Korea, said Alex Layton in RantRave. As much as “I hate his politics and his policies,” though, Obama’s “ninja-like reflexes are astounding,” and I would put this fly execution “in the same category as Bush dodging the shoes.”
Guess who doesn’t think Obama is “so zen or enlightened” for his ninja-like, “cold-blooded karate chop”? said Dominic Montanaro in MSNBC’s First Read. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, of course. Obama “isn’t the Buddha,” groused PETA president Ingrid Newkirk.
PETA’s “insane,” said Allahpundit in Hot Air, but I guess we should “be glad there are lefties still willing to criticize the One.” Too bad the “cooing” media—which can’t get enough of that “sweet, sweet flyswatting Obama fu”—isn’t similarly critical.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 12 holiday gifts for the hardest-to-shop-for people on your list
Subscribe to the Week