GOOD DAY FOR: Picking a fight with Sarah Palin, after David Letterman’s well-publicized spat with the Alaska governor gave a sizable ratings bump to “Late Night.” Letterman still lost last week to Conan O’Brien’s “Tonight Show,” but he won the ratings matchup three of the five nights, when the controversy over his Palin jokes was at its peak. (AP in USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Good manners, after a bar in southern Spain started offering free drinks to patrons who come up with hilarious or original insults to hurl at the bartenders. Even if the insults are more mundane, bar owner Bernard Mariusz encourages verbal abuse of his staff, as a way to blow off steam in the frustrating economic times. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How I lost all my money
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Ismail Kadare's 6 favorite books
- Kim Jong Un's less responsible, Disney-obsessed older brother
- The real story behind The Conjuring and four other horror movies 'based on a true story'
- How to develop a photographic memory in 4 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week