GOOD DAY FOR: Picking a fight with Sarah Palin, after David Letterman’s well-publicized spat with the Alaska governor gave a sizable ratings bump to “Late Night.” Letterman still lost last week to Conan O’Brien’s “Tonight Show,” but he won the ratings matchup three of the five nights, when the controversy over his Palin jokes was at its peak. (AP in USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Good manners, after a bar in southern Spain started offering free drinks to patrons who come up with hilarious or original insults to hurl at the bartenders. Even if the insults are more mundane, bar owner Bernard Mariusz encourages verbal abuse of his staff, as a way to blow off steam in the frustrating economic times. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week