OOD DAY FOR: Picking a fight with Sarah Palin, after David Letterman’s well-publicized spat with the Alaska governor gave a sizable ratings bump to “Late Night.” Letterman still lost last week to Conan O’Brien’s “Tonight Show,” but he won the ratings matchup three of the five nights, when the controversy over his Palin jokes was at its peak. (AP in USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Good manners, after a bar in southern Spain started offering free drinks to patrons who come up with hilarious or original insults to hurl at the bartenders. Even if the insults are more mundane, bar owner Bernard Mariusz encourages verbal abuse of his staff, as a way to blow off steam in the frustrating economic times. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week