OOD DAY FOR: Picking a fight with Sarah Palin, after David Letterman’s well-publicized spat with the Alaska governor gave a sizable ratings bump to “Late Night.” Letterman still lost last week to Conan O’Brien’s “Tonight Show,” but he won the ratings matchup three of the five nights, when the controversy over his Palin jokes was at its peak. (AP in USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Good manners, after a bar in southern Spain started offering free drinks to patrons who come up with hilarious or original insults to hurl at the bartenders. Even if the insults are more mundane, bar owner Bernard Mariusz encourages verbal abuse of his staff, as a way to blow off steam in the frustrating economic times. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week