GOOD DAY FOR: Picking a fight with Sarah Palin, after David Letterman’s well-publicized spat with the Alaska governor gave a sizable ratings bump to “Late Night.” Letterman still lost last week to Conan O’Brien’s “Tonight Show,” but he won the ratings matchup three of the five nights, when the controversy over his Palin jokes was at its peak. (AP in USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Good manners, after a bar in southern Spain started offering free drinks to patrons who come up with hilarious or original insults to hurl at the bartenders. Even if the insults are more mundane, bar owner Bernard Mariusz encourages verbal abuse of his staff, as a way to blow off steam in the frustrating economic times. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week