OOD DAY FOR: Silver linings, as concerns over the weak U.S. economy and falling dollar pushed the price of oil down, to near $68 a barrel. (AP in Yahoo! Finance) The average nationwide price of a gallon of gas also dropped Monday, after 54 straight days on the rise, to $2.69 a gallon. (CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Half-baked ideas, after an outbreak of E. coli from Nestle’s premade Toll House cookie dough has made at least 65 people sick in 29 states. More than two-thirds of those sickened are 19 or younger. “Is nothing safe anymore?” said Carole Feld, a D.C. resident. “If bacteria has gotten into Nestle’s Toll House cookie dough, then everything is suspect.” (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week