GOOD DAY FOR: Winding down, as several studies conclude that zoning out is a very common human trait—and an essential one. Letting your mind wander helps you work through important problems and see the bigger picture. (Discover, via Lifehacker)
BAD DAY FOR: Taking off, after Boeing delayed the maiden voyage of its 787 Dreamliner—again—by several weeks, citing a weak side section. The wildly successful plane is already two years behind schedule, leading some airlines to drop their orders. The delays have been a boon to rival Airbus, whose similar A350 model is siphoning away some Dreamliner orders, even though the A350 doesn’t hit the skies until three years after the 787. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
Subscribe to the Week