GOOD DAY FOR: Winding down, as several studies conclude that zoning out is a very common human trait—and an essential one. Letting your mind wander helps you work through important problems and see the bigger picture. (Discover, via Lifehacker)
BAD DAY FOR: Taking off, after Boeing delayed the maiden voyage of its 787 Dreamliner—again—by several weeks, citing a weak side section. The wildly successful plane is already two years behind schedule, leading some airlines to drop their orders. The delays have been a boon to rival Airbus, whose similar A350 model is siphoning away some Dreamliner orders, even though the A350 doesn’t hit the skies until three years after the 787. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week