resident Obama has come clean, said Lynn Sweet in Politics Daily. Under questioning by a reporter after he signed a tough anti-smoking bill, Obama on Tuesday admitted that he still occasionally sneaks a cigarette, even though he promised First Lady Michelle Obama he would quit as a condition of her embracing his White House bid. "Obama's inability to go cold turkey"—despite the help of Nicorette gum—should serve as a reminder of how tough it is for smokers to kick the habit.
No, this is a reminder that President Obama is a hypocrite, said Ignatius Reilly in Right Pundits. And, once again, the press is letting him off easy. "If George W. Bush smoked in the White House, the liberal media would be asking 'How many children has George W. Bush killed with his bad example?"
Honestly, it's silly to judge President Obama for occasionally falling off the wagon, said Rod Dreher in BeliefNet. "Look, I wish Obama didn't smoke. I hope he quits. But given the things he's having to deal with every day, I don't begrudge him smoking one bit, if it helps keep him calm."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- How America's internet can become the fastest on Earth
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week