Months ago, someone sent the Columbia, S.C., State newspaper copies of e-mails attributed to Gov. Mark Sanford. The newspaper didn't publish the notes until Sanford confessed that he had an extramarital affair with the woman in Argentina. Here is an excerpt from one of Sanford's e-mails to Maria as published in The State:
" ... we are in a hopelessly -- or as you put it impossible -- or how about combine and simply say hopelessly impossible situation of love. How in the world this lightening strike snuck up on us I am still not quite sure. As I have said to you before I certainly had a special feeling about you from the first time we met, but these feelings were contained and I genuinely enjoyed our special friendship and the comparing of all too many personal notes ...
Lastly I also suspect I feel a little vulnerable because this is ground I have never certainly never covered before - so if you have pearls of wisdom on how we figure all this out please let me know... In the meantime please sleep soundly knowing that despite the best efforts of my head my heart cries out for you, your voice, your body, the touch of your lips, the touch of your finger tips and an even deeper connection to your soul."
Read more of the e-mails in The State
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- 5 signs your 'limited' Iraq intervention is spiraling out of control
Subscribe to the Week