Good Day, Bad Day
Unlikely comebacks, old standbys.
GOOD DAY FOR: Unlikely comebacks, as Amtrak is projecting its fifth consecutive record year for passenger-train ridership. The flock to trains has been helped by high gas prices, airport problems, and expanded routes in California and Illinois. But Amtrak still isn’t turning a profit. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Old standbys, as technology consulting firm Capgemini said it will start recommending Google’s suite of office software to its business clients. Capgemini, which helps determine the software on more than a million business PCs, is the first major tech consultancy to back Google’s business software—a market dominated by Microsoft and IBM. (AP in BusinessWeek.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week