The paparazzi can forget about trailing Jon and Kate Gosselin for a while, said Rebecca Dana in The Wall Street Journal. "Now the race is on for the first picture of South Carolina governor (for now) Mark Sanford’s Argentinian mistress Maria Belen Chapur. The first photo will mean newsstand gold (or a traffic bonanza) for whatever outlet tracks it down."
A TV station in Argentina beat the paparazzi to the punch, said the New York Post. A video of Maria Belen Chapur has already surfaced on the Internet. (watch a Spanish-language news report by a woman identified as Belen Chapur). Not much is known about Mark Sanford's alleged mistress, although a witness who works in her 14-story Buenos Aires apartment building describes her "as a beautiful brunette with big eyes who plays tennis on a nearby lawn and runs every morning in her neighborhood."
The woman who conquered the heart of Gov. Mark Sanford is no longer a mystery, said Argentina's La Prensa. She made the video now seen online in 2001, when she covered the one-month anniversary of the collapse of the World Trade Center twin towers during a brief stint as a journalist. The doorman in her building describes her as very nice and "elegant" -- she graduated from some of Argentina's finest schools. But for now she's holed up in her apartment, avoiding the legions of journalists standing sentry outside.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week