The paparazzi can forget about trailing Jon and Kate Gosselin for a while, said Rebecca Dana in The Wall Street Journal. "Now the race is on for the first picture of South Carolina governor (for now) Mark Sanford’s Argentinian mistress Maria Belen Chapur. The first photo will mean newsstand gold (or a traffic bonanza) for whatever outlet tracks it down."
A TV station in Argentina beat the paparazzi to the punch, said the New York Post. A video of Maria Belen Chapur has already surfaced on the Internet. (watch a Spanish-language news report by a woman identified as Belen Chapur). Not much is known about Mark Sanford's alleged mistress, although a witness who works in her 14-story Buenos Aires apartment building describes her "as a beautiful brunette with big eyes who plays tennis on a nearby lawn and runs every morning in her neighborhood."
The woman who conquered the heart of Gov. Mark Sanford is no longer a mystery, said Argentina's La Prensa. She made the video now seen online in 2001, when she covered the one-month anniversary of the collapse of the World Trade Center twin towers during a brief stint as a journalist. The doorman in her building describes her as very nice and "elegant" -- she graduated from some of Argentina's finest schools. But for now she's holed up in her apartment, avoiding the legions of journalists standing sentry outside.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week