GOOD DAY FOR: Downsizing, after Ruth Madoff, the wife of massive fraudster Bernard Madoff, agreed to forfeit any claim to some $80 million in assets in a deal that leaves her with $2.5 million. Bernard Madoff, who pleaded guilty, asked that his wife be allowed to keep nearly $70 million in assets and cash. Prosecutors say he swindled investors of $170 billion. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Critical acclaim, after the Transformers sequel, “Revenge of the Fallen,” pulled in more than $200 million domestically in its first five days, giving it the best opening of any movie this year and setting a record for the biggest gulf between box office revenue and critics’ reviews. Critics generally hated the film, writing only 38 positive reviews, out of 187 total. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
Subscribe to the Week