GOOD DAY FOR: Downsizing, after Ruth Madoff, the wife of massive fraudster Bernard Madoff, agreed to forfeit any claim to some $80 million in assets in a deal that leaves her with $2.5 million. Bernard Madoff, who pleaded guilty, asked that his wife be allowed to keep nearly $70 million in assets and cash. Prosecutors say he swindled investors of $170 billion. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Critical acclaim, after the Transformers sequel, “Revenge of the Fallen,” pulled in more than $200 million domestically in its first five days, giving it the best opening of any movie this year and setting a record for the biggest gulf between box office revenue and critics’ reviews. Critics generally hated the film, writing only 38 positive reviews, out of 187 total. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
Subscribe to the Week