OOD DAY FOR: Downsizing, after Ruth Madoff, the wife of massive fraudster Bernard Madoff, agreed to forfeit any claim to some $80 million in assets in a deal that leaves her with $2.5 million. Bernard Madoff, who pleaded guilty, asked that his wife be allowed to keep nearly $70 million in assets and cash. Prosecutors say he swindled investors of $170 billion. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Critical acclaim, after the Transformers sequel, “Revenge of the Fallen,” pulled in more than $200 million domestically in its first five days, giving it the best opening of any movie this year and setting a record for the biggest gulf between box office revenue and critics’ reviews. Critics generally hated the film, writing only 38 positive reviews, out of 187 total. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
Subscribe to the Week