GOOD DAY FOR: Downsizing, after Ruth Madoff, the wife of massive fraudster Bernard Madoff, agreed to forfeit any claim to some $80 million in assets in a deal that leaves her with $2.5 million. Bernard Madoff, who pleaded guilty, asked that his wife be allowed to keep nearly $70 million in assets and cash. Prosecutors say he swindled investors of $170 billion. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Critical acclaim, after the Transformers sequel, “Revenge of the Fallen,” pulled in more than $200 million domestically in its first five days, giving it the best opening of any movie this year and setting a record for the biggest gulf between box office revenue and critics’ reviews. Critics generally hated the film, writing only 38 positive reviews, out of 187 total. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
When Americans banned Christmas
Subscribe to the Week