A Gallup poll found that the percentage of Americans who describe the Democratic Party as "too liberal" jumped from 39 percent last year to 46 percent this summer. (Gallup)
What the commentators said
Democrats must be concerned to see how clearly the country identifies "Democrats with the dreaded L-word," said Michael McAuliff in the New York Daily News. But one Gallup poll saying that more Americans have decided Democrats are too liberal isn't "exactly a clarion of doom for the Dems." Still, it's a rare source of cheer for the battered Republicans.
That's the price Democrats pay for being back in power, said Peter Roff in U.S. News & World Report. Republicans may think that their job of rebranding their troubled party will be easy if voters become worried that Democrats are too liberal. But Gallup also found that the number of people who think Republicans are too conservative is unchanged at 43 percent. So the numbers don't exactly give them the upper hand against a "rock star" like President Obama.
Times will only get tougher for Democrats as Americans sour on life in "Nancy Pelosi's America," said Chris Horner in National Review. When, thanks to the stimulus bill, we all get "the biggest tax increase in U.S. history," people will realize how the Democrats doled out billions of dollars in taxpayer money to buy support from "special interest groups and their politicians" to ramrod their expensive agenda through Congress.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- You're reheating pizza wrong
Subscribe to the Week