I’ll say this for Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.)—he’s “good at getting his mug on the air,” said Bob Keeler in Newsday. With Michael Jackson still freshly dead, “King put together a dizzyingly amateurish video of himself calling Jackson a lowlife and and a child molester,” and lambasting the media for paying more attention to Jackson than to everyday heroes. (watch video) Isn’t King just adding a “Pete King chapter” to the admittedly “overabundant” Jackson coverage?
There’s a difference, said Emily Miller in AOL’s Politics Daily. Peter King is the only public official so far with “enough chutzpah to denounce the despicable official and media homage to Michael Jackson.” The “media love fest” is bad enough, but King also takes a “subtle swipe” at Democrats, who led a moment of silence for the “accused child molester” on the “hallowed floor” of the U.S. House.
“Who would have thought that the King of Pop’s legacy would become a partisan issue?” said Sam Stein in The Huffington Post. Trashing Michael Jackson may or may not play well in Peter King’s “reliable Republican stronghold,” but money travels across districts, and King may find that there’s a “political price to pay”—angry Jackson fans are raising money for his as-yet-named opponent.
Let’s hope those angry fans are aware they’re donating to a Democratic group, said Roy Erdoso in The Village Voice. Don’t feel too bad for those “suckered by this,” though—they’d probably spend the money on “collectible plates.” It’s sad that “everything is politics in our era,” but at least this is “the kind of sad you can laugh at.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week