By Tish Durkin
If you already love Sarah Palin and would follow her anywhere, her sudden decision to trash the governorship of Alaska halfway into her first term strikes you not only as comprehensible, but brilliant, fantastic, ideal!
If you don't already love Sarah Palin and might or might not follow her to any given place, her sudden decision to trash the governorship of Alaska halfway into her first term seems loopy, insulting, suspicious, and reckless.
Newsflash: Sarah Palin cannot be elected president on the strength of people who already love her and would follow her anywhere.
Therefore, she is never going to be president.
For a spotlight hound like Palin, that's no biggie. She can be an obscenely paid talk show host and author. She can be a rabidly sought-after public speaker. She can be a powerfully influential Republican fundraiser-thus-powerbroker. But she cannot be president.
So let's stop talking about that, shall we?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week