By Tish Durkin
If you already love Sarah Palin and would follow her anywhere, her sudden decision to trash the governorship of Alaska halfway into her first term strikes you not only as comprehensible, but brilliant, fantastic, ideal!
If you don't already love Sarah Palin and might or might not follow her to any given place, her sudden decision to trash the governorship of Alaska halfway into her first term seems loopy, insulting, suspicious, and reckless.
Newsflash: Sarah Palin cannot be elected president on the strength of people who already love her and would follow her anywhere.
Therefore, she is never going to be president.
For a spotlight hound like Palin, that's no biggie. She can be an obscenely paid talk show host and author. She can be a rabidly sought-after public speaker. She can be a powerfully influential Republican fundraiser-thus-powerbroker. But she cannot be president.
So let's stop talking about that, shall we?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week