t least Bill O’Reilly “waited until Michael Jackson was completely dead and buried to spit on his grave,” said Duncan Riley in The Inquisitr. In his Fox News show, O’Reilly launched an “amazing attack” on Jackson and on the “cowardly” media’s coverage of his death. He slams Jackson for being selfish, backs Rep. Peter King’s pedophile charge, then says Jackson can't be an African-American icon because he bleached his skin and has white children. (watch video)
“My stomach churns” at having to say this, but there’s “some truth” to Bill O’Reilly's statements, said Trey Ellis in The Huffington Post. Of course we should be letting his family grieve and celebrating his music, but “we in the black community” should also think about why we’re “closing ranks” on the “most famous black man in the world,” who’d convinced himself he was “a perpetually 12-year-old white boy.”
This isn’t really so much about Jackson, said Yosef Solomon in Manolith. It’s about creating controversy so people will pay attention to Bill O’Reilly, and thus Fox’s “right-wing propaganda.” By the way, Fox was one of the major media outlets giving wall-to-wall coverage to Michael Jackson’s death, so O’Reilly’s rant against the media is “meaningless and without merit.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
Subscribe to the Week