GOOD DAY FOR: History repeating itself, after Bernard Madoff was transferred to the same medium-security federal prison in Atlanta where famed conman predecessor Charles Ponzi served time. Madoff will start serving his 150-year term there, before reportedly being moved to a federal prison in North Carolina. The 71-year-old’s projected release date is Nov. 14, 2139. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Three days of rain, as French travel agencies Pierre et Vacances and FranceLoc are offering a new weather insurance program for vacationers, with participants getting up to $550 back if their holiday is spoiled by at least four days of rain in any given week. Insurer Aon France will use weather satellite images to determine compensation. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week