GOOD DAY FOR: History repeating itself, after Bernard Madoff was transferred to the same medium-security federal prison in Atlanta where famed conman predecessor Charles Ponzi served time. Madoff will start serving his 150-year term there, before reportedly being moved to a federal prison in North Carolina. The 71-year-old’s projected release date is Nov. 14, 2139. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Three days of rain, as French travel agencies Pierre et Vacances and FranceLoc are offering a new weather insurance program for vacationers, with participants getting up to $550 back if their holiday is spoiled by at least four days of rain in any given week. Insurer Aon France will use weather satellite images to determine compensation. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
Subscribe to the Week