GOOD DAY FOR: History repeating itself, after Bernard Madoff was transferred to the same medium-security federal prison in Atlanta where famed conman predecessor Charles Ponzi served time. Madoff will start serving his 150-year term there, before reportedly being moved to a federal prison in North Carolina. The 71-year-old’s projected release date is Nov. 14, 2139. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Three days of rain, as French travel agencies Pierre et Vacances and FranceLoc are offering a new weather insurance program for vacationers, with participants getting up to $550 back if their holiday is spoiled by at least four days of rain in any given week. Insurer Aon France will use weather satellite images to determine compensation. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Stop hating on cyclists
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week