GOOD DAY FOR: History repeating itself, after Bernard Madoff was transferred to the same medium-security federal prison in Atlanta where famed conman predecessor Charles Ponzi served time. Madoff will start serving his 150-year term there, before reportedly being moved to a federal prison in North Carolina. The 71-year-old’s projected release date is Nov. 14, 2139. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Three days of rain, as French travel agencies Pierre et Vacances and FranceLoc are offering a new weather insurance program for vacationers, with participants getting up to $550 back if their holiday is spoiled by at least four days of rain in any given week. Insurer Aon France will use weather satellite images to determine compensation. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week