GOOD DAY FOR: History repeating itself, after Bernard Madoff was transferred to the same medium-security federal prison in Atlanta where famed conman predecessor Charles Ponzi served time. Madoff will start serving his 150-year term there, before reportedly being moved to a federal prison in North Carolina. The 71-year-old’s projected release date is Nov. 14, 2139. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Three days of rain, as French travel agencies Pierre et Vacances and FranceLoc are offering a new weather insurance program for vacationers, with participants getting up to $550 back if their holiday is spoiled by at least four days of rain in any given week. Insurer Aon France will use weather satellite images to determine compensation. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week