GOOD DAY FOR: Gun-rack sales, as a Missouri car dealer is offering AK-47 assault rifles with all new or used truck purchases. Max Motors—motto: “God, Guns, Guts, and American Pick-up Trucks”—won’t have the high-powered weapons on site, but rather give customers a $450 coupon to buy the rifle at a licensed gun dealer. Owner Mark Muller says the response has been overwhelming. (The Daily Telegraph)
BAD DAY FOR: The Golden State, after California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger reached a deal with state lawmakers to end the state’s protracted budget impasse. To fill California’s $26 billion budget gap, the deal requires slashing spending on schools, public works, welfare, and municipalities; it doesn’t raise taxes. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week