GOOD DAY FOR: Gun-rack sales, as a Missouri car dealer is offering AK-47 assault rifles with all new or used truck purchases. Max Motors—motto: “God, Guns, Guts, and American Pick-up Trucks”—won’t have the high-powered weapons on site, but rather give customers a $450 coupon to buy the rifle at a licensed gun dealer. Owner Mark Muller says the response has been overwhelming. (The Daily Telegraph)
BAD DAY FOR: The Golden State, after California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger reached a deal with state lawmakers to end the state’s protracted budget impasse. To fill California’s $26 billion budget gap, the deal requires slashing spending on schools, public works, welfare, and municipalities; it doesn’t raise taxes. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
When Americans banned Christmas
- It ain't easy being green in the world's most polluted city
Subscribe to the Week