OOD DAY FOR: Gun-rack sales, as a Missouri car dealer is offering AK-47 assault rifles with all new or used truck purchases. Max Motors—motto: “God, Guns, Guts, and American Pick-up Trucks”—won’t have the high-powered weapons on site, but rather give customers a $450 coupon to buy the rifle at a licensed gun dealer. Owner Mark Muller says the response has been overwhelming. (The Daily Telegraph)
BAD DAY FOR: The Golden State, after California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger reached a deal with state lawmakers to end the state’s protracted budget impasse. To fill California’s $26 billion budget gap, the deal requires slashing spending on schools, public works, welfare, and municipalities; it doesn’t raise taxes. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week