OOD DAY FOR: Gun-rack sales, as a Missouri car dealer is offering AK-47 assault rifles with all new or used truck purchases. Max Motors—motto: “God, Guns, Guts, and American Pick-up Trucks”—won’t have the high-powered weapons on site, but rather give customers a $450 coupon to buy the rifle at a licensed gun dealer. Owner Mark Muller says the response has been overwhelming. (The Daily Telegraph)
BAD DAY FOR: The Golden State, after California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger reached a deal with state lawmakers to end the state’s protracted budget impasse. To fill California’s $26 billion budget gap, the deal requires slashing spending on schools, public works, welfare, and municipalities; it doesn’t raise taxes. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week