The search is on for the sicko behind the Erin Andrews peephole pictures, said Gossip Jackal. For those living under a rock, someone posted the Andrews peephole video on the Internet after shooting the footage of the ESPN sportscaster standing naked in a hotel room. Another legal question is what to do about websites that posted the video and used the link to infect users' computers with malicious spyware.
"Amateur sleuths are out to catch the culprit," said Dashiell Bennett in Deadspin, although that doesn't mean justice will be served. It should be relatively easy to track the source of the Erin Andrews peephole video. "But turning that online persona into an actual real world person that police can club with a baton is much more difficult."
The real bad guy is still on the loose, said John Gonzalez in The Philadelphia Inquirer, but bloggers are already being punished for pointing viewers to the Erin Andrews peephole pictures. Deadspin—a wildly popular sports blog that hypes all news about the gorgeous Andrews—has been singled out for some harsh criticism for posting a link to a previously unknown blog that put up the Andrews video. The "anti-blog militia" wants someone to take the fall for this invasion of Andrews' privacy—let's just hope it's the real culprit—and not valuable blogs like Deadspin—who pays.
Don't worry, said Alex Akita in Seattle Sportsnet, ESPN is on "a head-hunting mission to take down all perpetrators" behind the Erin Andrews peephole video. ESPN plans to sue and push criminal charges against the amateur cameraman, "and it’s only a matter of time until they catch the guy." And, sorry, "I don’t know where you can get the video" while waiting for news that justice has been done.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- Uncle Sam wants you to stay away from these countries
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week