ESPN has found a target for its wrath over the Erin Andrews video peep pictures, said Bryan McAffee in Right Juris. ESPN has banned New York Post personnel from appearing on the cable sports channel's shows. Why? Earlier this week the newspaper published blurred images taken from the Erin Andrews peephole tape.
"No one would have known that a sick voyeur had secretly videotaped" the beautiful ESPN reporter naked in her hotel room, said the New York Post, if ESPN "hadn't sent a letter to an obscure website demanding that it take down its link to a fuzzy video of an unidentified blonde." It was ESPN—not the censored NY Post Erin Andrews photos—that alerted the world that there were Erin Andrews video peep pictures to be found online.
The newspaper did "everyone a favor," said Joshua Holmes in Bumpshack. The NY Post Erin Andrews photos took "the mystery out of this whole saga" by showing that the Erin Andrews video peep pictures "are not as scandalous as advertised (grainy/fuzzy)." The Post may have saved "millions of young boys and men from getting a computer virus from a hacker/spam site trying" to find the Erin Andrews peephole tape for themselves.
Please, said Steve Johnson in the Chicago Tribune, the NY Post Erin Andrews photos don't reflect well on the tabloid newspaper at all. The Post "railed against the 'peephole pervert' exploiting the 'sideline siren.'" But what the newspaper did also exploited the Erin Andrews video peep pictures—even if the Post did add "black bars covering Andrews' naughty bits."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- How to make corn dogs
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
Subscribe to the Week