Perez Hilton's record label is "definitely a go," said Tim Stack in Entertainment Weekly. The celebrity blogger has announced that the first signing to his Perezcious Music is French singer Sliimy, whose album will be released on Sept. 14. And of course, Hilton knows how to generate interest: He "recently enlisted celebrity pals like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Jordin Sparks to tweet 'Who is Sliimy?,' creating instant online buzz."
Hilton and Sliimy are going to need more than online buzz, said Idolator. Perezcious Music is one of Warner Music Group's "vanity" labels. Sliimy sounds like "one of those super-wordy cutesy singers who get one song on Grey's Anatomy before fading into I Love the '00s-worthy obscurity." As soon as WMG realizes that Hilton is practically setting their "money on fire," they'll pull the plug.
Don't be so sure, said Glasswerk National. "Hilton apparently discovered the singer last year when he e-mailed the celebrity blogger his cover version of Britney Spears' 'Womanizer'." Now that he's on Perezcious Music, "Sliimy has been confirmed as support at some European shows for Britney Spears and Katy Perry." (watch the video for Sliimy's cover of Spears' "Womanizer")
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Everything you've heard about millennials is wrong
Subscribe to the Week