Perez Hilton's record label is "definitely a go," said Tim Stack in Entertainment Weekly. The celebrity blogger has announced that the first signing to his Perezcious Music is French singer Sliimy, whose album will be released on Sept. 14. And of course, Hilton knows how to generate interest: He "recently enlisted celebrity pals like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Jordin Sparks to tweet 'Who is Sliimy?,' creating instant online buzz."
Hilton and Sliimy are going to need more than online buzz, said Idolator. Perezcious Music is one of Warner Music Group's "vanity" labels. Sliimy sounds like "one of those super-wordy cutesy singers who get one song on Grey's Anatomy before fading into I Love the '00s-worthy obscurity." As soon as WMG realizes that Hilton is practically setting their "money on fire," they'll pull the plug.
Don't be so sure, said Glasswerk National. "Hilton apparently discovered the singer last year when he e-mailed the celebrity blogger his cover version of Britney Spears' 'Womanizer'." Now that he's on Perezcious Music, "Sliimy has been confirmed as support at some European shows for Britney Spears and Katy Perry." (watch the video for Sliimy's cover of Spears' "Womanizer")
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Behind the newest attempt to get the Supreme Court to strike down affirmative action
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Why insects are the future of food
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week