Perez Hilton's record label is "definitely a go," said Tim Stack in Entertainment Weekly. The celebrity blogger has announced that the first signing to his Perezcious Music is French singer Sliimy, whose album will be released on Sept. 14. And of course, Hilton knows how to generate interest: He "recently enlisted celebrity pals like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Jordin Sparks to tweet 'Who is Sliimy?,' creating instant online buzz."
Hilton and Sliimy are going to need more than online buzz, said Idolator. Perezcious Music is one of Warner Music Group's "vanity" labels. Sliimy sounds like "one of those super-wordy cutesy singers who get one song on Grey's Anatomy before fading into I Love the '00s-worthy obscurity." As soon as WMG realizes that Hilton is practically setting their "money on fire," they'll pull the plug.
Don't be so sure, said Glasswerk National. "Hilton apparently discovered the singer last year when he e-mailed the celebrity blogger his cover version of Britney Spears' 'Womanizer'." Now that he's on Perezcious Music, "Sliimy has been confirmed as support at some European shows for Britney Spears and Katy Perry." (watch the video for Sliimy's cover of Spears' "Womanizer")
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- When it comes to ISIS, our Congress is full of cowards
- How I became a borderline hoarder
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- How Hillary Clinton's 'smart power' turned Libya into a dumpster fire
Subscribe to the Week