Perez Hilton's record label is "definitely a go," said Tim Stack in Entertainment Weekly. The celebrity blogger has announced that the first signing to his Perezcious Music is French singer Sliimy, whose album will be released on Sept. 14. And of course, Hilton knows how to generate interest: He "recently enlisted celebrity pals like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Jordin Sparks to tweet 'Who is Sliimy?,' creating instant online buzz."
Hilton and Sliimy are going to need more than online buzz, said Idolator. Perezcious Music is one of Warner Music Group's "vanity" labels. Sliimy sounds like "one of those super-wordy cutesy singers who get one song on Grey's Anatomy before fading into I Love the '00s-worthy obscurity." As soon as WMG realizes that Hilton is practically setting their "money on fire," they'll pull the plug.
Don't be so sure, said Glasswerk National. "Hilton apparently discovered the singer last year when he e-mailed the celebrity blogger his cover version of Britney Spears' 'Womanizer'." Now that he's on Perezcious Music, "Sliimy has been confirmed as support at some European shows for Britney Spears and Katy Perry." (watch the video for Sliimy's cover of Spears' "Womanizer")
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
Subscribe to the Week