Madonna has always been a fitness fanatic, said Britain's Metro, but it looks as if she has "pumped one dumb bell too many." The pop superstar reportedly has been working out for two hours a day, six days a week since she started getting in shape for her "Sticky and Sweet" tour. But a photo of the pop superstar in a T-shirt shows that Madonna's "grueling" regime has given her a "frightening" look.
"Madonna's muscles are not particularly oversized," said Britain's Daily Mail, "compared with, say, an Olympic athlete, but what is unusual is how toned and well-defined they are." That's because Madonna has eliminated most of her body fat, the way a body-builder does. Those Madonna biceps wouldn't perform well athletically, though, because at this point she'd have "slight malnourishment issues."
How "does a 50-year-old woman get her arms to look like that?" said ABC News entertainment reporter Sheila Marikar in The Huffington Post. More importantly, why? Those "buff-beyond-belief" Madonna biceps "lift a lot, for sure, but they don't look like they've picked up an ice-cream cone in weeks." Madonna would surely be happier if she relaxed, and "stopped striving for the body of a Greco-Roman god."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to live a long life, according to science
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week