Results: We asked you to predict the name of the next brutally honest self-help book for the unemployed and it all boiled down to: What to Expect When You’re Not Expecting A Paycheck. Think Outside the Box (Get a Tent!). So You Think You Can Grovel? Poor Dad, Poor Dad. Buddy Can You Spare a Spleen? And:
FIRST PRIZE: What Color is Your Lead Balloon?
John Espy, Lawrence, KS
SECOND PRIZE: The Zero Hour Workweek
James Lister Smith, Mill Valley, CA
THIRD PRIZE: Chicken Soup Kitchen for the Unemployed Soul
Jason Kahn, Ann Arbor, MI (and others, similar)
Carpool to Nowhere: The Twice-a-Week Program For Maintaining Your Commuting Skills
Dallas Lea, Poughkeepsie, NY
Are You There, God? It’s Me, Jobless
William Lebzelter, Buffalo Grove, IL
A Long Day’s Journey into Night Janitoring
Zelig Kaplan, St. Louis Park, MN
What Color is Your Shopping Cart?
Robyn Focazio, Round Rock, TX
What Color is Your Lemonade Stand?
Steve Kaplan, St. Louis Park, MN
What Color is Your Parachute When You Pull the Cord and It Doesn’t Open and Your Dreams Are About to Go Splat?
Carla Cicerchia, Lynnfield, MA
Do You Even HAVE a Parachute?
Ria Achong-Bowe, Baltimore
How to Stop Texting and Fill Out an Application
Bobby Sorkine, Tampa, FL
You CAN go Home Again
Steve Whalen, Fair Haven, VT
Trabajar In Mexico for $5 a Day!
Alison Parrish, Grants Pass, OR
The Survivalist’s Survival Guide
Kartik Srinivas, Silver Spring, MD
Your New Career: How to Write Best-Selling Self-Help Books
Ed Davis, Hollister, CA (and others, similar)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
Subscribe to the Week