Good day for: Adopting an 18 year old, as a middle-income family with a child born last year will spend about $221,000 raising that child through age 17, according to report by the USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. The tab rises to $291,000 when accounting for inflation. (The Huffington Post)
Bad day for: Old-car lovers, as junkyards and scrap-metal recyclers are expecting a boom from the "Cash for Clunkers" stimulus program, which offers rebates to people who trade in old gas guzzlers and buy more fuel-efficient new vehicles. "It's going to be a bonanza," said Nathan Adlen, co-owner of Aadlen Bros. Auto Wrecking in Sun Valley, one of the largest auto dismantlers in Southern California. (Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
Subscribe to the Week