Good day for: Adopting an 18 year old, as a middle-income family with a child born last year will spend about $221,000 raising that child through age 17, according to report by the USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. The tab rises to $291,000 when accounting for inflation. (The Huffington Post)
Bad day for: Old-car lovers, as junkyards and scrap-metal recyclers are expecting a boom from the "Cash for Clunkers" stimulus program, which offers rebates to people who trade in old gas guzzlers and buy more fuel-efficient new vehicles. "It's going to be a bonanza," said Nathan Adlen, co-owner of Aadlen Bros. Auto Wrecking in Sun Valley, one of the largest auto dismantlers in Southern California. (Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
Subscribe to the Week