ood day for: Adopting an 18 year old, as a middle-income family with a child born last year will spend about $221,000 raising that child through age 17, according to report by the USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. The tab rises to $291,000 when accounting for inflation. (The Huffington Post)
Bad day for: Old-car lovers, as junkyards and scrap-metal recyclers are expecting a boom from the "Cash for Clunkers" stimulus program, which offers rebates to people who trade in old gas guzzlers and buy more fuel-efficient new vehicles. "It's going to be a bonanza," said Nathan Adlen, co-owner of Aadlen Bros. Auto Wrecking in Sun Valley, one of the largest auto dismantlers in Southern California. (Los Angeles Times)
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How the Great Recession has changed the way we shop — even during the holidays
- Was the sign-language interpreter at the Mandela memorial faking it?
- Can the budget deal survive a divided Congress?
Subscribe to the Week