ood day for: Adopting an 18 year old, as a middle-income family with a child born last year will spend about $221,000 raising that child through age 17, according to report by the USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. The tab rises to $291,000 when accounting for inflation. (The Huffington Post)
Bad day for: Old-car lovers, as junkyards and scrap-metal recyclers are expecting a boom from the "Cash for Clunkers" stimulus program, which offers rebates to people who trade in old gas guzzlers and buy more fuel-efficient new vehicles. "It's going to be a bonanza," said Nathan Adlen, co-owner of Aadlen Bros. Auto Wrecking in Sun Valley, one of the largest auto dismantlers in Southern California. (Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week