GOOD DAY FOR: Renters, after Deutsche Bank estimated that 48 percent of U.S. homes will be “underwater,” or worth less than the money owed on them, by 2011. As of March, 26 percent of U.S. homes were underwater. The report also sees a further 14 percent drop nationwide in housing prices by 2011, which would bring the total decline to 41.7 percent. Other evidence points toward a stabilization in the housing market. (Reuters in Yahoo! News)
BAD DAY FOR: Shooting home movies, as Quebec police are weighing a host of charges against a family that videotaped, then posted on YouTube, footage of 7-year-old son “Samuel” driving the family SUV. The film, evidently shot by the father, also shows an seatbelt-less young girl in the backseat. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Rise of the machines
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week