OOD DAY FOR: Renters, after Deutsche Bank estimated that 48 percent of U.S. homes will be “underwater,” or worth less than the money owed on them, by 2011. As of March, 26 percent of U.S. homes were underwater. The report also sees a further 14 percent drop nationwide in housing prices by 2011, which would bring the total decline to 41.7 percent. Other evidence points toward a stabilization in the housing market. (Reuters in Yahoo! News)
BAD DAY FOR: Shooting home movies, as Quebec police are weighing a host of charges against a family that videotaped, then posted on YouTube, footage of 7-year-old son “Samuel” driving the family SUV. The film, evidently shot by the father, also shows an seatbelt-less young girl in the backseat. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week