GOOD DAY FOR: Renters, after Deutsche Bank estimated that 48 percent of U.S. homes will be “underwater,” or worth less than the money owed on them, by 2011. As of March, 26 percent of U.S. homes were underwater. The report also sees a further 14 percent drop nationwide in housing prices by 2011, which would bring the total decline to 41.7 percent. Other evidence points toward a stabilization in the housing market. (Reuters in Yahoo! News)
BAD DAY FOR: Shooting home movies, as Quebec police are weighing a host of charges against a family that videotaped, then posted on YouTube, footage of 7-year-old son “Samuel” driving the family SUV. The film, evidently shot by the father, also shows an seatbelt-less young girl in the backseat. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
Subscribe to the Week