OOD DAY FOR: Speed browsing, after two entrepreneurs created the Webcycle, an exercise bike that gives the rider Internet access based on how fast he or she pedals. The bike powers a Ubuntu-based laptop hooked up to an array of sensors, and the more strenuous the workout, the faster the bandwidth. A slow, leisurely pace is fine for text-heavy sites. (Engadget, via The Inquisitr)
BAD DAY FOR: Baños Cubanos, as the cash-strapped Cuban government is warning that it is running low on toilet paper and may not be able to import enough until the end of the year. Cuba makes toilet paper, too, but doesn’t have enough raw material to meet demand. Cuba has been hit hard by both the global financial crisis and hurricanes. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week