OOD DAY FOR: Sweet autumn nights, after boutique ice cream parlor The Icecreamists opens in the basement of London department store Selfridges this November. Among the items on the menu is The Sex Pistol, an ice cream–absinthe cocktail packed with purportedly libido-boosting ingredients like ginkgo biloba, arginine, and guarana. There will be a one-per-customer limit. (The London Paper)
BAD DAY FOR: Gas guzzlers, as the electric Chevy Volt is on track to be rated at 230 miles per gallon. Pegging down the gas milage on Chevrolet’s flagship electric car, due out next year, has been hard, since the Volt runs for about 40 miles before using any gas; after that, it gets about 50 mpg. The draft 230-mpg rating is based on city driving. (CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week