Paul Reubens is making a "triumphant return to public scrutiny," said Annie Barrett in Entertainment Weekly. After nearly 20 years away from the spotlight, the 56-year-old actor is reviving his Pee-Wee Herman character for a limited-engagement live stage performance called The Pee-Wee Herman Show, which is scheduled to begin November 8 at The Music Box @ Fonda in Los Angeles. Reubens' "feature films never panned out"—maybe this will.
"It's ambiguous as to whom the new stage show will be geared," said David Ng in the Los Angeles Times, as Reubens' TV series Pee-Wee's Playhouse, which ran from 1986-1990, was billed as a kid's show (watch a clip from Pee-Wee's Playhouse). And since then, "Reubens' career has been a roller-coaster ride of legal fiascoes," from his no contest plea on a misdemeanor charge of indecent exposure after being arrested in an adult movie theater in 1991, to the child pornography charges against him due to images in his art collection in 2002.
But "show business loves nothing more than a comeback," said Josh Wigler in MTV.com, and "depending on the success of these shows, it's very possible that Pee-Wee might ascend to the big top of Hollywood once more." Reubens has two finished screenplays based on his Pee-Wee character ready to go, and if his stage show "can draw in significant Pee-Wee loving crowds," it could serve as "a reference point for studios wondering if a new Pee-Wee Herman movie is financially sensible."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week