OOD DAY FOR: The Golden Arches, as McDonald’s not only survived the Great Recession but actually expanded and saw stronger sales growth than in 2006 or 2007. The impressive results are a combination of Americans trading down—from casual dining places like Ruby Tuesday’s for food, and from Starbucks for espresso drinks—and people in growing Asian economies such as China, India, and Indonesia trading up. (Slate)
BAD DAY FOR: Wedding after-parties, after German police found a bride passed out in the back of her BMW in Cologne, next to a crate of vodka. The cops had to rescue the 30-year-old woman by breaking in the window of the car, which was starting to overheat in the sun, and she still woke up reluctantly. The bride had to crawl out of the broken window; she didn’t know what happened to her keys or her groom. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week