GOOD DAY FOR: The Golden Arches, as McDonald’s not only survived the Great Recession but actually expanded and saw stronger sales growth than in 2006 or 2007. The impressive results are a combination of Americans trading down—from casual dining places like Ruby Tuesday’s for food, and from Starbucks for espresso drinks—and people in growing Asian economies such as China, India, and Indonesia trading up. (Slate)
BAD DAY FOR: Wedding after-parties, after German police found a bride passed out in the back of her BMW in Cologne, next to a crate of vodka. The cops had to rescue the 30-year-old woman by breaking in the window of the car, which was starting to overheat in the sun, and she still woke up reluctantly. The bride had to crawl out of the broken window; she didn’t know what happened to her keys or her groom. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- A linguist's guide to HULK SMASH
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week