The Americans are trying to turn Pakistan into a colony, said the Peshawar, Pakistan, Frontier Post in an editorial, "and its people into their slaves." What's worse, Pakistan's "spineless political bosses" are letting them do it. U.S. diplomats are "roaming free and defiantly on Islamabad's roads, in cars with no diplomatic plates, loaded with guns and making outstation trips without even obtaining the required permission of Pakistan's authorities." And the U.S. embassy has plans for a massive expansion. "Surely, Pakistanis want no American listening post on their soil, eavesdropping on whom they know not." If our gutless leaders won't defend the nation's honor, there are 171 million citizens who will. We've felt "poisonous American teeth dug deep" into our skins too many times already.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
Subscribe to the Week