"Ew!" said Jessica Pressler in New York magazine. It's not surprising to read that Ponzi-scheme cheat Bernard Madoff had an extra-marital affair—"if you're deceptive in one part of your life, it follows that you would be in others. What surprises us is that someone had an affair with Bernie Madoff." But that's just what former Haddassah charity accountant Sheryl Weinstein says she did—although, fortunately, it happened 20 years ago.
If you want details, you won't have long to wait, said Paula Schaap in HedgeFund.net. Sheryl Weinstein—who has publicly denounced Bernard Madoff, saying he lost her family's life savings—has written a book called "Madoff’s Other Secret: Love, Money, Bernie, and Me," and it's scheduled to be released on Aug. 25 by St. Martin's Press.
Sheryl Weinstein has already told Bernard Madoff's sentencing judge that the day she met the convicted swindler was "the unluckiest day of my life," said David Boreacos in Bloomberg via the New York Post. She told the judge Madoff was an "equal opportunity destroyer" and a "beast." Ira Sorkin, a lawyer for Madoff, said Weinstein was entitled to free speech, but "why one would go public with something like that, I don't know."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week