"Ew!" said Jessica Pressler in New York magazine. It's not surprising to read that Ponzi-scheme cheat Bernard Madoff had an extra-marital affair—"if you're deceptive in one part of your life, it follows that you would be in others. What surprises us is that someone had an affair with Bernie Madoff." But that's just what former Haddassah charity accountant Sheryl Weinstein says she did—although, fortunately, it happened 20 years ago.
If you want details, you won't have long to wait, said Paula Schaap in HedgeFund.net. Sheryl Weinstein—who has publicly denounced Bernard Madoff, saying he lost her family's life savings—has written a book called "Madoff’s Other Secret: Love, Money, Bernie, and Me," and it's scheduled to be released on Aug. 25 by St. Martin's Press.
Sheryl Weinstein has already told Bernard Madoff's sentencing judge that the day she met the convicted swindler was "the unluckiest day of my life," said David Boreacos in Bloomberg via the New York Post. She told the judge Madoff was an "equal opportunity destroyer" and a "beast." Ira Sorkin, a lawyer for Madoff, said Weinstein was entitled to free speech, but "why one would go public with something like that, I don't know."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week