OOD DAY FOR: Stephen Schwarzman, after the Blackstone Group CEO’s $702 million in compensation last year made him 2008’s best-paid U.S. executive, according to the Corporate Library. Schwarzman’s $2.3 million salary was augmented by the vesting of a quarter of the $4.7 billion in equity he received upon taking Blackstone public in 2007, adding almost $699.8 million to his take-home last year. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Southwest Airlines, after rival carrier Republic Airways beat it, despite heavy odds favoring Southwest, in an auction to buy bankrupt Frontier Airlines. Republic’s $108.75 million purchase price won out over Southwest’s $170 million bid due largely to unresolved labor issues between Southwest and Frontier pilots. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week