OOD DAY FOR: Stephen Schwarzman, after the Blackstone Group CEO’s $702 million in compensation last year made him 2008’s best-paid U.S. executive, according to the Corporate Library. Schwarzman’s $2.3 million salary was augmented by the vesting of a quarter of the $4.7 billion in equity he received upon taking Blackstone public in 2007, adding almost $699.8 million to his take-home last year. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Southwest Airlines, after rival carrier Republic Airways beat it, despite heavy odds favoring Southwest, in an auction to buy bankrupt Frontier Airlines. Republic’s $108.75 million purchase price won out over Southwest’s $170 million bid due largely to unresolved labor issues between Southwest and Frontier pilots. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week