Finally, a “nude scandal” not involving “Disney stars,” said Cristina Everett in the New York Daily News. In a video leaked online, actor Eric Dane, who plays Dr. Mark “McSteamy” Sloan on Grey’s Anatomy; his wife, actress Rebecca Gayheart; and dethroned 2002 Miss Teen USA Kari Ann Peniche all “appear fully nude” in Peniche’s apartment. Peniche, who is reportedly working as a madam now, said on tape she would erase the video.
After watching this "hilarious threesome sex tape," said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times, Dane's Grey’s Anatomy costars may start calling him “McBoring.” Dane, Gayheart, and Peniche just hang out on Peniche’s bed and talk about their porn names, before the two women “take a Jacuzzi soak.” As the couple’s lawyer notes, this isn’t a “sex tape,” it’s just “three people sitting around wanting to have sex.”
According to Kari Ann Peniche, the “whacked-out naked trio” never had sex, said TMZ, just “plenty of fun.” Peniche also says the video was stolen from her hard drive by disgruntled roommate and fellow “Celebrity Rehab” star Mindy McCready. In subsequent negotiations, Dane got full rights to the video—at least in theory.
Ah, well—“another day, another Grey’s Anatomy scandal,” said Rachel Thomas in About.com. From “gay-bashing to tongue-lashing,” the show is no stranger to controversy. The nude Eric Dane-Rebecca Gayheart-Kari Ann Peniche video “takes the cake,” but it also raises the question: Why do celebrities continue to make these tapes and risk getting “caught with their pants down”?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
Subscribe to the Week