Attention liberals—Whole Foods is now the enemy, said Jonathan Zasloff in The Reality-Based Community. John Mackey, the CEO of the popular organic-food supermarket chain, wrote a recent op-ed in The Wall Street Journal saying that health care is not a "right," and insisting that tort reform and health-savings accounts are the answer to the nation's health problems. Mackey essentially turned his back on his liberal customers and allied himself with "the looney right wing," so it's time for a Whole Foods boycott.
"Whole Foods? Right-wing?" asked Dennis Sanders in The Moderate Voice. That's ludicrous. The company has strict environmental and humane animal-treatment rules, and offers liberal benefits to its employees. As blogger Radley Balko said, it's "everything leftists talk about when they talk about 'corporate responsibility.'" It's "insane" for once-loyal customers to join a boycott simply because they don't agree 100 percent with what John Mackey says.
I, too, was "dubious" about the Whole Foods boycott—at first, said Matthew Yglesias in Think Progress. But Whole Foods markets its "products specifically as part of a quasi-politicized left-wing lifestyle," so it's natural that the chain's customers feel betrayed. If their wrath teaches corporate titans to stick to business and stay out of politics, "I would call that a good thing."
Not if you want to respect John Mackey's right to free speech, said The Wall Street Journal in an editorial. "Too often, business leaders who have useful contributions on a public issue are too fearful or self-interested to say what they really think." All Mackey said was that there are "ways to reform health care without a new deficit-busting entitlement." Those on the Left who disagree should say why—a boycott is just "political thuggery."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- What if The Purge was real?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why I choose not to be rich
- Israel's invasion of Gaza shows peace talks were a sham all along
Subscribe to the Week