Murder suspect and former reality TV contestant Ryan Jenkins was found dead—hanging by his belt from a coat rack—in a Canadian motel on Sunday. Police had been searching for Jenkins since the mutilated body of his wife, swimsuit model Jasmine Fiore, was found in California a week ago. "The sadness of this," said Lt. Steve Holliday of the Buena Park, Calif., police department, "is that Mr. Jenkins will not stand before an Orange County jury for his crime." (TMZ)
What the commentators said
The way Jenkins died "could have been scripted for TV," said Britain's Telegraph. "The dramatic end came at an isolated motel at the edge of British Columbia's mountainous interior," far away from the glitz of Hollywood but close to the home of Jenkins' mother. But the case still has loose ends—police are now searching for a young woman who reportedly checked Jenkins into the motel.
The news that Ryan Jenkins had been found dead at the Thunderbird Motel, said Steven Mikulan in LA Weekly, "seems to be the final macabre twist to the bizarre and brutal murder case of Los Angeles model Jasmine Fiore." Jenkins had been on the run since Fiore's body was found—her fingers cut off and her teeth pulled out, apparently to make it harder to identify her. Authorities believe he escaped into Canada via speedboat.
The manhunt for Ryan Jenkins is over, said Britain's In Entertainment, but the news that the former contestant on VH1's Megan Wants a Millionaire won't be much comfort to the loved ones of Jasmine Fiore, whose naked body was found stuffed inside a suitcase and dumped in a trash bin. "There will be no justice for Jasmine and her family, as it appears Ryan took the easy way out."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- The end of academic freedom?
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Another Bitcoin exchange bites the dust
Subscribe to the Week