Murder suspect and former reality TV contestant Ryan Jenkins was found dead—hanging by his belt from a coat rack—in a Canadian motel on Sunday. Police had been searching for Jenkins since the mutilated body of his wife, swimsuit model Jasmine Fiore, was found in California a week ago. "The sadness of this," said Lt. Steve Holliday of the Buena Park, Calif., police department, "is that Mr. Jenkins will not stand before an Orange County jury for his crime." (TMZ)
What the commentators said
The way Jenkins died "could have been scripted for TV," said Britain's Telegraph. "The dramatic end came at an isolated motel at the edge of British Columbia's mountainous interior," far away from the glitz of Hollywood but close to the home of Jenkins' mother. But the case still has loose ends—police are now searching for a young woman who reportedly checked Jenkins into the motel.
The news that Ryan Jenkins had been found dead at the Thunderbird Motel, said Steven Mikulan in LA Weekly, "seems to be the final macabre twist to the bizarre and brutal murder case of Los Angeles model Jasmine Fiore." Jenkins had been on the run since Fiore's body was found—her fingers cut off and her teeth pulled out, apparently to make it harder to identify her. Authorities believe he escaped into Canada via speedboat.
The manhunt for Ryan Jenkins is over, said Britain's In Entertainment, but the news that the former contestant on VH1's Megan Wants a Millionaire won't be much comfort to the loved ones of Jasmine Fiore, whose naked body was found stuffed inside a suitcase and dumped in a trash bin. "There will be no justice for Jasmine and her family, as it appears Ryan took the easy way out."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week