Murder suspect and former reality TV contestant Ryan Jenkins was found dead—hanging by his belt from a coat rack—in a Canadian motel on Sunday. Police had been searching for Jenkins since the mutilated body of his wife, swimsuit model Jasmine Fiore, was found in California a week ago. "The sadness of this," said Lt. Steve Holliday of the Buena Park, Calif., police department, "is that Mr. Jenkins will not stand before an Orange County jury for his crime." (TMZ)
What the commentators said
The way Jenkins died "could have been scripted for TV," said Britain's Telegraph. "The dramatic end came at an isolated motel at the edge of British Columbia's mountainous interior," far away from the glitz of Hollywood but close to the home of Jenkins' mother. But the case still has loose ends—police are now searching for a young woman who reportedly checked Jenkins into the motel.
The news that Ryan Jenkins had been found dead at the Thunderbird Motel, said Steven Mikulan in LA Weekly, "seems to be the final macabre twist to the bizarre and brutal murder case of Los Angeles model Jasmine Fiore." Jenkins had been on the run since Fiore's body was found—her fingers cut off and her teeth pulled out, apparently to make it harder to identify her. Authorities believe he escaped into Canada via speedboat.
The manhunt for Ryan Jenkins is over, said Britain's In Entertainment, but the news that the former contestant on VH1's Megan Wants a Millionaire won't be much comfort to the loved ones of Jasmine Fiore, whose naked body was found stuffed inside a suitcase and dumped in a trash bin. "There will be no justice for Jasmine and her family, as it appears Ryan took the easy way out."
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- The U.S. auto bailout is officially over. Here's what America lost and gained.
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 13 countries where gay marriage is legal [Updated]
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
Subscribe to the Week