OOD DAY FOR: Making new friends, as Facebook says it will expand its staff by up to 50 percent this year, to take advantage of the recessionary glut of unemployed engineers. “No one else has been hiring,” said CEO Mark Zuckerberg, 25. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Reaping what you sow, after Julia Child’s “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” is finally topping the best-seller lists, 48 years after it was first published and five years after Child’s death. In the most recent week, as measured by Nielsen BookScan, the cookbook sold 22,000 copies, more than in any year since it was published. The cookbook received a huge boost from the movie Julie and Julia. (The New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The end of academic freedom?
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner*
Subscribe to the Week