The next Susan Boyle is emerging from across the Atlantic, said Mark W. Smith in the Detroit Free Press. Danyl Johnson, a 27-year-old schoolteacher from Reading, England, "wowed" the crowd and judges of the British reality show The X Factor recently with his rendition of the Beatles song "With a Little Help from My Friends." The "goose-bump-inducing" performance received "a standing ovation from frequently cantankerous judge Simon Cowell," and more than 1 million people have watched the Danyl Johnson video on YouTube since it was posted two days ago. (watch Johnson's X Factor performance)
Johnson is "winning Americans over with a heartwarming back story and huge vocal pipes," said Michael Inbar in TodayShow.com, but he "seems a sea apart from Boyle." While she "was a frumpy, shy, retiring type before she opened her mouth and presented a voice from the heavens, Johnson is outgoing, undeniably handsome, and a poised performer."
Let's just hope Johnson can handle everything that comes with instant fame, said Lisa Gutierrez in the Kansas City Star. The Danyl Johnson video is still picking up steam, and "British tabloids have already gotten their hooks" into him, "reporting that he's performed with three bands, won a national karaoke competition and has suffered various 'secret family heartaches.'"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week