The next Susan Boyle is emerging from across the Atlantic, said Mark W. Smith in the Detroit Free Press. Danyl Johnson, a 27-year-old schoolteacher from Reading, England, "wowed" the crowd and judges of the British reality show The X Factor recently with his rendition of the Beatles song "With a Little Help from My Friends." The "goose-bump-inducing" performance received "a standing ovation from frequently cantankerous judge Simon Cowell," and more than 1 million people have watched the Danyl Johnson video on YouTube since it was posted two days ago. (watch Johnson's X Factor performance)
Johnson is "winning Americans over with a heartwarming back story and huge vocal pipes," said Michael Inbar in TodayShow.com, but he "seems a sea apart from Boyle." While she "was a frumpy, shy, retiring type before she opened her mouth and presented a voice from the heavens, Johnson is outgoing, undeniably handsome, and a poised performer."
Let's just hope Johnson can handle everything that comes with instant fame, said Lisa Gutierrez in the Kansas City Star. The Danyl Johnson video is still picking up steam, and "British tabloids have already gotten their hooks" into him, "reporting that he's performed with three bands, won a national karaoke competition and has suffered various 'secret family heartaches.'"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
Subscribe to the Week