GOOD DAY FOR: A state sale, as California is auctioning off more than 6,000 unneeded or unclaimed items on EBay and Craigslist in a giant warehouse sale this weekend. The giant garage sale, an attempt by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to cut the state’s deficit, includes state cars autographed by the governor/actor, jewelry confiscated by the police, and surplus office furniture. Schwarzenegger held a similar sale in 2004. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: The JK wedding dance videographer, after YouTube unveiled a deal in which it will start sharing revenue from uploaded videos that go viral. The new program, in which YouTube will email a video maker a money-sharing message if his or her video passes an undisclosed viewership threshold, is not retroactive. The JK wedding dance video, which was viewed more than 10 million times, didn’t earn anything for the people who made and uploaded it. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week