OOD DAY FOR: A state sale, as California is auctioning off more than 6,000 unneeded or unclaimed items on EBay and Craigslist in a giant warehouse sale this weekend. The giant garage sale, an attempt by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to cut the state’s deficit, includes state cars autographed by the governor/actor, jewelry confiscated by the police, and surplus office furniture. Schwarzenegger held a similar sale in 2004. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: The JK wedding dance videographer, after YouTube unveiled a deal in which it will start sharing revenue from uploaded videos that go viral. The new program, in which YouTube will email a video maker a money-sharing message if his or her video passes an undisclosed viewership threshold, is not retroactive. The JK wedding dance video, which was viewed more than 10 million times, didn’t earn anything for the people who made and uploaded it. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week