GOOD DAY FOR: A state sale, as California is auctioning off more than 6,000 unneeded or unclaimed items on EBay and Craigslist in a giant warehouse sale this weekend. The giant garage sale, an attempt by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to cut the state’s deficit, includes state cars autographed by the governor/actor, jewelry confiscated by the police, and surplus office furniture. Schwarzenegger held a similar sale in 2004. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: The JK wedding dance videographer, after YouTube unveiled a deal in which it will start sharing revenue from uploaded videos that go viral. The new program, in which YouTube will email a video maker a money-sharing message if his or her video passes an undisclosed viewership threshold, is not retroactive. The JK wedding dance video, which was viewed more than 10 million times, didn’t earn anything for the people who made and uploaded it. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Tony Blair: The Cassandra of the Middle East
- Is China entering its own military quagmire abroad?
Subscribe to the Week